Demand better bread
For the vast majority of us out there bread can and should be part of a healthy balanced diet. It’s been around for 30,000 years in countless forms all over the world and has helped sustain billions upon billions of people.
That said, over the past 100 years there has been a massive shift away from healthy, sustainable bread and a focus on speed, yield and profits. As a result, most bread sold in this country today is unhealthy at best, and at worst is hazardous to your health. Here’s just a few examples:
- Conventional wheat grown in the United States is treated with glyphosate (aka Roundup) which has been shown to significantly increase the risk of cancer.
- Conventional all-purpose flours can be treated with bleaching agents that are known carcinogens and present a host of detrimental effects to your health. Bleaching also strips away much of the vitamins and other nutrients in the flour.
- Preservatives that are added to conventional bread to try and make it last cause stomach ulcers, behavioral problems, headaches, inattention and sleep disturbance in children.
- “Improvers” to make conventional bread rise faster are linked to allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems.
How did we get here? That’s a complex question but I believe one of the biggest issues is that we have lost any sort of connection with our food. Despite the fact that food is absolutely critical to our survival, most of us can’t answer the following basic questions about what we eat:
- What are the ingredients?
- Who grew the ingredients?
- Where are the ingredients from?
- How was this food made?
- Who made it and where?
You deserve better, healthier bread in your diet. Your kids, friends and family deserve it too. And all of the farmers and those working on farms deserve to work in an environment without exposure to glyphosate and other chemicals used to crank out toxic ingredients for our food.
Our mission at Rise Bakehouse is to bake local, hand-made organic breads baked with purpose that improve the health of our community. We want our customers to love their bread and feel great about giving it to their kids, friends and family. Here’s how we do that:
- We only use certified organic flours. That means no pesticides and no bleaching agents.
- Our naturally leavened breads have loads of flavor that develop over the long fermentation and they last longer than conventional breads. No preservatives needed.
- We give our breads all the time they need to rise. No “improvers” needed.
- Our sourdough breads are easier to digest than conventional bread as the long fermentations naturally help to break down gluten proteins.
- The long fermentation makes the nutrients in bread more readily available to your body.